e martë, 12 qershor 2007

Trip to New York





After seeing some of the sights in Massachussetts, Emily came with us to visit Ned in New York. This was my first trip to New York City and was very interesting. We stayed with Ned in his 4th Floor apartment in Manhattan, attended the Harlem Ward for church on Sunday, and among other things, visited Ellis Island, toured a tenement house, walked the Brooklyn Bridge at night, saw a broadway show "Wicked" and relaxed in Cental Park. I can see how New Yorkers stay in good shape - it's all the walking they do getting to the subways! One fun thing for me was to see the location where some of my Oakley ancestors were baptized. In John Oakley's journal he notes that they were baptized in the East River at the foot of Main Street. It was really easy to find and such a picturesque spot now with the Brooklyn Bridge and skyscape of Manhattan in the background. Of course it would have looked quite different back in 1840.

1 koment:

erin tha...

Wow, who took the picture of the bridge at sunset? It's beautiful! I am so excited that you are blogging now! Woo hoo! It feels like I can be "home" for the few minutes that I get to see your blog! Thank you!